On Returning To Work After The Holidays - A Top 3 List

Most of my past "breaks" weren't really breaks at all... In the past, I've succumbed to this idea that
working through a holiday break is praised by my leadership. It isn't and they don't care. Nope, at my company, most of our leaders are taking time for themselves too. Personally, it was hard to unplug. I don't really like the idea of extended breaks like this (although I do appreciate the amazing gift that they are). I come from start-ups and there aren't really breaks; more like pauses during the day. Well, thank you company for the break! However, now I need to get back in to the routine and get cracking on 2020. Below are my 3 tips to help you (and myself) get in to the work-tine again.

  1. Wake Up Early: we all see Jocko Willink's 4:30 AM posts, but that's hard to do... I wake up early, so this one isn't hard for me. However, on this break I was sleeping in until 7 AM; that's late for me. Waking up truly helps focus the mind and you have such a step on the day. 
  2. Create A 2020 Mantra: every day, year and decade is a chance to start anew. I wrote down a list of goals in OneNote and in my journal to help me design my year. But, who cares!? What I think is more important is my mantra. Here's a crack at mine: Freedom For Future, Adventure And Retreat. This mantra takes all my goals in to one view and is something I can remember. 
  3. Have A Next Break Plan: This is very Tim Ferris for me... Tim books a trip 6 months out and holds himself to this. I plan to do the same. The good news is that I have some work trips coming up, so that will put my mind in to planning mode. Considering I work for a 55,000 person company, I'm sure they will survive without me, so why not plan another trip / break ;)
How do you plug back in? 

Comments