Training Work Week

I decided to write this training blog to detail the seriousness of my training work-week. My training is in response to an up and coming race in Moab, UT. I am racing solo in the 24-Hours of Moab. This means I have to prepare myself for seriously long riding. Like I mentioned in a previous blog, I am preparing my mind and my bones. Literally, I am preparing my skeletal matrix for the jarring Moab course. Please note that I did not include the weekend riding, which added another six hours of training.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Sunday’s training performance was poor. 2.5 hours of training just wasn’t enough. Today, I’ll put more effort toward different terrain. Fueling needs to be important. My breakfast consisted of sprouted grains and toast with honey-butter (Southern thing). The weather looks as if it will cooperate today. There are no storm systems building from the North or West. I’ll go in to the La Plata’s today. My first ride will be a road ride. Hesperus/Breen loop will do nicely. I’ll tempo the HWY 160 hill climb. But what’s the * new * thing I need to do; the different terrain? I know. The Notch ride up La Plata canyon will work. 4,000 feet of climbing should ruin my legs. That’s the plan. A 36-mile road ride and a 2-hour mountain bike ride.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

As planned my riding on Monday tore me apart. The Notch ride is very difficult. One might call it a slog or a mental-physical pain in the ass. I’m sore, but I have to play racquetball with Marc Katz. What a game! I am getting lactic acid build up from walking up the stairs, so today might be rest day. At 3:30 P.M., I officially call it a rest day, but what to do now. The answer is very scientific. Resting is the most critical part of training. I’m not just talking about sleep. I’m talking about active resting. Massage, stretching and flushing are all very important. I began my resting phase by pulling out the Emu oil and massage lotion. You guessed it; time for self massage. My next objective was stretching. Typically, I’m warmed up from my self massage, so I feel comfortable stretching my muscles. I’m not the most consistent stretcher, but I do believe it helps. Finally, I go for a very, very, very light spin on my trainer. As you can see rest days, aren’t what they used to be!

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

An off day does more than rest the muscles. It refreshes the mind. In fact, many coaches stress central nervous system health. I feel better. I drank some wine. Running offers something powerful to the mind. A long slow run can relax the primary organ. Today, I decide to go in to the Horse Gulch trail system with only a pair of running shoes. My run is quick and lasts an hour, but the speed workout was fun. At 11:00 A.M, I ride with Matt Shriver of 3D Racing. Our ride lasts an hour and a half. It was a recovery ride. Now, the good stuff – Mountain Biking Time! I take off in to Horse Gulch, once more. This time, I must get serious. I do three hill repeats up Telegraph (begin in the Meadow - up Telegraph trail - down Anasazi AND repeat). Following the insanity of those repeats, I move down Crites Connect and South Rim and then out of the trail system via Carbon Junction). My total time was about an hour, and some. I feel good…

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Thursday was all about the road ride! One might think that mountain bike racers only pursue the mountains; this is not the case. Road cycling is one of the most critical training components. To start, the pedaling action is steady – meaning there are no gaps in the force exerted by the cyclist. Furthermore, the normal wear and tear associated with mountain biking is not present. I took off for a 70-mile ride. My goal was to thoroughly wear myself down, as I have another light day scheduled for Friday.

Friday, September 23, 2005

LIGHT DAY! Finally! I get to take it slow and low! My only objective is to save enough energy for Saturday. Thus, I get on the trainer, pop in a movie and ride for two-hours. What’s next? I go right in to stretching and a little light lifting. Back to the movies, when I'm finished…

Comments