Iron Horse Bike: Check

I’m excited to announce that I received my Iron Horse bike, the Azure. Let’s begin with an outward expression of absolute truth: the bike is rad! I also wanted to give my readers a preliminary review of the bike. I’ll have more to say as I tackle additional terrain.

I’ve broken my review down into four parts. I think that focusing on these key elements will help you read the review easily. If you want to know about other standard parts on the Azure World Cup, please feel free to email me.

Looks:

Who hasn’t always wanted a white bike? There is something brilliant about the color. However, Iron Horse does to white what Gatorade did to lemon-lime. They kick started the color by adding a pearl sheen. It reminds me of the old Ford Mustangs of my childhood. I remember walking by one of the muscle cars and seeing a slight violet color. I could only see it if I moved my head from side to side. It wasn’t glaring, but just enough of a hint to intrigue me. Baring this history in mind, one might think I would have stood in front of my bike for hours staring at the paint. Well, you’re wrong. I stood in front of it the entire day.

Rear Suspension:

The Azure uses a 5th Element DW-Link suspension system that is based on virtual pivot points and a linkage system that elements peddle “bob” and shock movement from the ground up. Currently, I ride a Specialized Epic with the Brain rear shock system. The difference between the Iron Horse and the Specialized were dramatically different. The Azure transitions easily over the rough to smooth stuff. It moves through loose rocks like a champ. I felt very secure over the loose desert terrain in Durango’s Horse Gulch trail system. Climbing was a bit weird. It wasn’t that the Iron Horse lost points here; it was the difference in suspension. I’m used to (the Brain) and the DW-Link. Overall, the climbing aspect was good. It was smooth and seemed to be stable. I’ve only ridden the bike once, so I’ll have to filter in more details as I experience more of the suspension.

Transmission:

The SRAM X.0 is as smooth as a silk. I’m in love with SRAM. Shifting the rear derailleur was easy on the climbs and descents. I felt the front derailleur move quickly from small to medium and medium to large chain rings with rapid fire motion. Overall, I’d say outfit your new bike with SRAM X.0, if you are buying one.

Ride:

I created this category to give you my global review of the Azure World Cup. The bike is just smooth. What I mean by that is it rides velvety and strong. I like the fact that I’m riding on something new, so I might be a bit in love here, which could alter my sense of fairness in this review. The Azure is totally different from anything I’ve ever ridden. My only issue with the bike is that I haven’t ridden it in a race situation. I’m concerned a little bit because of the smoothness. I’m hoping that it is as snappy as my Specialized Epic.

Again, please email me for more details. I’ll keep adding my reviews of the Azure as they come in. Thanks for reading…

Comments