Iron Horse Bicycle Classic

I've heard that you haven't ridden Colorado's mountain passes until you ride Coal Bank and Molass pass. Well, the chance to ride these majestic roads is this weekend. The 35th Iron Horse Bicycle Classic is this Saturday - with the criterium on Sunday. Riders from all over the world will hit up the roads of Durango, CO and then on to Silverton, CO. They will climb over 5,500 feet on the road. Descending from that height is also challenging, as riders approach speeds of up to 50 miles per hour.



At the top, the views are almost 360-degrees, but for many of us racing the joy of the sites won't last that long. Because, it is off to Molass pass. The race usually picks up at the beginning of Molass, even though there is PLENTY of climbing to go.



Off the pinnacle of Molass, the ride is mostly downhill and the downhill is fast. Then it is off to a sprint finish in the town of Silverton.



As for me, this year, I'm going to try to ride up to Red Mountain Pass. I think the extra suffering will do me good, as I strap on my Memorial weekend party hat!

Thanks for reading...

Comments