Dirty, dusty and a ton of fun!


Well, the weekend is over. Wait, what? It is over? Yes, it is over. Oh, thanks, I freaked out for a minute. Don't you worry we are in for a five day weekend in the next couple of days. But, let's focus on the past weekend of racing, because that's what folks really want to read about.

Last weekend I was in Crested Butte, CO. I'm sure by now, you are all tired of hearing about my racing in Crested Butte, but I really wanted to give you the goods, one last time.

It was a blast. The riding was so fun! The semi-pros hit three laps. At 10 miles each, this race was no picnic. The climbing made it even harder as we had to pull 1800 feet per lap - ouch! The semi-pro field was brutal. I was talking to a pro friend of mine, who just upgraded to pro and he said he was surprised at the level of competition in the semi pro category. He mentioned that in previous years there were two or three fast guys. Now, he said, there are more like 10. I was pleased to hear that I'm in tough competition, at least.

My race strategy was to keep it descent on the first lap, squeeze a little more out on the second and to hammer home the third lap. I'm sure you thinking, gee Walker, that sounds like a winner of strategy, considering just about everyone on the planet has that same idea. Well, that may be true, but, OK, I've got nothing to say here. But, I did feel really good about my race afterwards. I wasn't crushed. In fact, Christina and I rode the high altitude 401 trails.

Well, that's just about all for today! Tune in tomorrow when we talk about overtraining as a way of life!

Comments

Anonymous said…
5-day weekend?
Walker Thompson said…
Doesn't a "five day weekend" attitude count?
Anonymous said…
Yes, Walker somehow rationalizes that the anticpation of a 4-day weekend counts as a 5-day weekend. I know..... It's just a peek into the life of Walker and Christina :-)

Love you honey!
C
Walker Thompson said…
Bintrim,

Yes, it is that way my friend! Actually, I feel like if we all think this way we'll end up with a three day weekend.