Racing hard in Crested Butte this weekend?


This weekend is the Wildflower Rush in Crested Butte, CO. It is the third stop on the Mountain States Cup series. It is also one of the hardest climbing races on the planet, at least that's what I thought last year.

Each lap consists of 1,800 feet of elevation gain. By the numbers, I'll be climbing 5,400 feet by the end of our third lap - thankfully we only have to ride three laps. The course isn't that technical. There are some tight switch backs, but overall it is mostly the steepness that gets to riders.

My plan for the race is to keep it calm during the start. I don't feel that I gain a thing by trying to stay tight mid-pack. After the first lap is over with, I'm going to turn on the heat to see who has the staying power for the third lap. During my final voyage into the climbing (3rd lap), I'm going to hit it as hard as I can - no matter what (ATTACK). What do you think of my strategy?

The post race stuff is what I care about the most. We are going to ride the 401 trail and some of the technical rides near Gunnison. I'm psyched to also hit up some of the good restaurants in Crested Butte.

Comments