State of fear...

As mountain bikers, we live in a constant state of fun. There are times when that state is rattled with fear. We have to be OK with the fact that sometimes we should be afraid of a gnarly 40-foot gap jump. Or, a very steep hill, during a race - it is going to hurt.

However, as mountain bikers, we need to move beyond the fear state and back into the fun state, quickly. A New York Times article highlights one man's camp experience and how he switched from fear to fun. This move from fear to fun allows us to progress into harder terrain and into more lung-busting epic rides. So, how do we make the switch back, easily?

At first, I thought about looking into what the pros might say, but instead I wanted to turn to the internet. I did a Google search on "overcoming fear". I found an interesting podcast by Steve Pavlina. It was kind of funny. He actually quotes from the book Dune. He goes on further to talk about his concept of fear resistance whereby one builds courage by doing little scary things to train for the big scary thing. He uses the example of asking someone out on a date. If you're scared of asking for a date, then you might start by smiling to someone. You get the idea. It is like weight training.

I believe that Steve is on to something. I also read in a couple of pro mountain bike sites that fear is something they had to work on as well. In other words, it takes practice. You have to move beyond a level of comfort. It takes making a commitment to pushing the limit.

What are you afraid of?

Walker: for the last couple of weeks I've been afraid of crashing face first. I don't know why, but I keep having these visions of my handlebars coming off my bike and me going right into the ground, AGAIN. It isn't based on anything, other than the fact that I have gone face first into the ground.

FASHION CONTEST ON YOURMTB.COM CLOSED - WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!

Comments

Walker Thompson said…
WOW! Bubba, this sounds extreme. Also, I can't tell you how hard I laughed after learning the word, "Wedding Tackle". Brilliant!
Anonymous said…
I have to say, I have this constant irrational rear that my front tire will just fall of my road bike as I'm screaming downhill. My mind runs through all the senarios - the shock, the realization, hitting the pavement and skidding across it and under the wheels of a passing 18-wheeler. I have even stopped, pulled over and confirmed what I already rationally know - the wheel is clamped tight. Then not five minutes later, the irrationality creeps back in....
What do you think that's all about??
gwadzilla said…
thanks

I will have to read this article about fear

there is much fear
there is also anxiety

I have mantras that I chant to myself
I also took two trips to the ER last year

so...

fear is not unwarranted
just need to tone it down to respect