Truly ranking a trail is impossible...

Could we actually give a trail a rank? What I mean is can we do a Ebert and Roeper ranking: thumbs up or thumbs down? Sure, some trails aren't going to make it on to the this blog. However, is it politically correct to say that a trail doesn't have what it takes to earn my wheel's presence? If I damn (thumbs down) some trail out there to trail-hell, then I'm only hurting my friend who lives in that town. He probably rides that trail everday. Now, I'm sure he wants to ride the epic rides in the high country, but he would be just as quick to tell me to go to Hades if I talk trash on his trail - only he can do that. Other than developing categories: freeride, downhill, xc hill climb or trials; and ranking them from the perspective of the course rider, we cannot truly rank a trail. I think IMBA does a good job at categorizing epic rides. I'm sure there are other freeride ranking systems and trial trail measurements, as well. But, is there one over-arching voice in the mountain biking community? I know I have my own opinion, which I think is good, but I'm not a hucking freerider, so do I have the right to rank a freeride trail? Vice versa: does my freeride friend famously rank my xc trail? Should we ask Steve Outing to create a ranking system for us on yourmtb.com?

Folks, let's brainstorm on this one. How can we create a truly fair trail ranking system that covers all the bases? How can we avoid categorizing, or can we?

*REMEMBER TO REGISTER AT YOURMTB.COM FOR YOUR FREE EAT, SLEEP, MOUNTAIN BIKE STICKER*

Comments

Anonymous said…
Struggling with this question myself, I for one am greatly interested in this topic!

Right now, I simply have users rate a trail 1-10 overall. Not very good I suppose, but it's something.

However, my ratings module allows me add multiple rating categories per trail - so in theory I can have people rate things like "xc-ness", "freeride-ness", "technical-ness", etc.. in addition to the overall rating.

So... My current thoery is to do the above and then whack my head against the wall until I can figure out an algorithm to do something like Netflix does - the old "Users like you rated it [this]".

And there is my master plan.

Of course, I am writing all this because I am lost in this topic myself and I hope for other ideas.