T-Ride racing...

So I'm racing in the Telluride Full Tilt and Mommy takes pictures.

Well it was easy. All I had to do was feed my family for a few days. They, in turn, acted as my professional camera crew. Below are some pictures of me at the race. Also, below is my story on the race.

Telluride mountain biking is two things: straight up and straight down. If you've been to the mountain the winter skiing is like that, too. When mountain biking, you have to expect to foam at the mouth. The hills are steep and some of them very technical. Now, combine all of this into a race.

The Full Tilt in Telluride mountain bike race is part of the Mountain States Cup series of races. This race series is one of the hardest in the country. Each race is packed full of downhill, super d, xc and mountain cross action. Some of the best in the country came to Telluride to participate last weekend.

I focused my attention on the xc race. As a semi-pro, I have to ride four ghrueling laps. At 1,100 feet of elevation gain, this course is no joke. Combine the elevation with a six-mile loop and I swear you have hell.

My first lap was awful. Do you know what race jack is? Well, if you do, and I told you I had race jack during my first lap, you would feel sorry for me. If you don't know what it is, doesn't it sound bad? Race jack is like stomach cramps, but worse. It zaps your energy source. I thought I was going to die from race jack. It pretty much ruined my race. And, damn, my parents were at the bottom of the hill. What would mother think?

My third and fourth lap were awesome. It was like a little angel punched me in the back of the head. I was full of energy. I ended up bettering my lap time by a minute or so. Weird: first and second lap slow; third and fourth lap fast.

At the end of the race I bailed really quick. It was lunch time and the parents said they were buying. Well, I couldn't beat that. Pictures and lunch, these parents are great!

Comments