What are you taking to improve yourself?


There are a zillion supplements on the market that claim to advance your life experience, riding performance or relationships. Can they support their claims? The answer is probably in the eye of the beholder, or maybe it is in the science. As for me, I think some of them really work.

I take a liquid vitamin made by the company Life Force International. The product I take is called Body Balance. It is designed to keep my insides working smoothly. It also has residual effects, too. For example, my skin is soft to the touch. My hair is as smooth as a velvet. You might say, with Body Balance, I'm the perfect human. Without it, I'm as remarkable as old toilet paper.

Really? Is this really true?

OK, I can't say if this stuff helps me at all, but I do feel like a multi-vitamin is the one supplement worth a damn.

As mountain bikers, we burn off a lot of calories. We also scrap off a lot of skin. Our bodies get torn and thrown about like rag dolls. We also recover from hangovers, too. Because of our constant recovery demands, we need lots of good things to nurish our body. A multi-vitamin adds a bunch of stuff and tries to find the write place to put it all. In other words, a multi-vitamin is a shotgun approach.

Is a multi-vitamin the only path to recovery?

NO, I believe in herbs, too.

If you haven't visited your local health food store in a while, then take the kids with you and go there, today. You're on the look out for the hippie kind of health food store (not GNC). You're looking for homeopathic herbs and tonics. They come in condensed pill form and droplet style. They have weird names that you'll never be able to pronounce. They are wonder drugs!

Herbs and tonics satisfy the Chinese doctor in me. They create balance and sometimes have true medicinal qualities. I'm taking the follow herbs and feel they are helping:

- Immense Defense: a conglomerate of herbs and tonics designed to stop illness in its tracks.
- Gotu Kola: a powerful brain and central nervous system balancer.
- Reishi Bupleurum: a blend of mushrooms and herbs. Designed to increase recovery time and healing.

How are you assiting your body balance? Are you fulfilling your body's needs with vitamins or different kinds of supplements? Or, do you think this stuff is worthless and for the foolish?

Comments