Are You Afraid of Making Big Decisions

Riding a mountain bike over technical terrain is easy. The hard part is committing to do it! Imagine pulling your bike over the edge of a drop and thinking, should I do this? As mountain bikers we make these kinds of decisions all the time. We risk life and limb for a few moments of peaceful mountain viewing.



How Yeti Cycles sees it...

Business decisions and planning are like the cliff, daunting. However, when you make the commitment to do IT; you find that it isn't as hard as you thought. The more business people I interact with the more I realize how fear of making decisions scares them. They fear; where there should be no fear.

I'm no Zen master, but I make it a point to make decisions. My secret: analyze, measure risk, figure options, GO! The analysis stage takes into account MY BUSINESS and THEIR BUSINESS. In other words, I take the time to see if the issue/problem/opportunity is a win-win. Measuring risk involves thinking how my decision might cause harm to profit or resources. When I figure options, I ALWAYS WRITE them down. You have to write! If you aren't writing, you aren't thinking! If all points in the right direction - GO. But, do it quickly and move on! This is the hardest point of all. Many people are so fearful to actually make a call that they stop at this point. If you're in management you have to take calculated risks. You have to GO!

Comments

Anonymous said…
management just like a peloton.

attackers, chasers, leaders, workers...

hopefully you go w any team that makes for a good rid'n.