Helvetica

Just watched the movie Helvetica by Gary Hustwit. Beyond the fact that I've never purposefully watched a movie on typography, I now consider myself an expert typographer-man. Yep, one movie and I'm an expert.

The movie was intriguing. Helvetica came from the Swiss. It is everywhere now: stop signs, street signs, subway signs, almost every sign. I think the Gap uses it as well. The movie has you listen to the "lovers" of Helvetica and the "haters". Designers that argue the value of this ubiquitousness (get it - ha ha ha) FONT!

This reminded me of why Design matters. The movie had me thinking about sans serif and serif; about the space between letters and the emotions space can create. The movie reminded me of two friends. When I had mentioned I received the movie on NetFlicks, they both smiled and talked about their passion: design. Now, we can talk FONT!

Comments