Super Road Trip - Day 2

As I recollect on the day’s adventures, I’m reminded of my 7th year of life. It was then that I realized my dream: ride, climb, run and, just, BE OUTDOORS IN THE WEST! Guess what folks? I’m living my dream. I’ve reached the pinnacle of what I want out of life; so that means everyday is the best day of my life! What does the next man got on me? Nothing! I’ve met the rich, lottery winners, but I don’t see accomplishment, I see boredom; and they know it. OK, enough of the bragging and on to the adventure…

My day started with a blueberry and cream cheese coffee cake from Macy’s in Flagstaff, AZ. If you haven’t been there, go. You’ll see why Flagstaff is one of the most eclectic towns on earth. After three cups of Macy’s coffee, I rallied to Schultz pass, where my ride would begin. It is the Sunset trail loop, which starts on forest roads and ends up on the top of Schultz pass. Once you take in the incredible views to the North, Sunset trail awaits your tires. This is a classic ride for me. Every single time I’m in Flagstaff, I do this ride. It is full of climbing (almost 2400 feet) and some technical sections (especially if you add in Rocky Ridge at the bottom). 17 miles of riding later, I was at my car rejoicing on another great day of singletrack, but that wasn’t enough for Walker T.

Humphrey’s Peak is right up the road. The trail is all wilderness, so NO BIKES! At the top of the Snowbowl (Arizona’s signature ski area, which isn’t open that often), you can access the Humphrey’s trail. My goal was to run to the false summit; basically a saddle. However, instead of putting in the run to the saddle like I wanted to, I put in another two hours of cardio and called it a day. The boulders at Priest Draw were calling me and I needed to get back.

Priest Draw bouldering is one of a kind. If you’re not Chris Sharma (one of the best climbers in the world), then you’re not going to climb much here. Having visited a second time, I was able to finish some climbing projects, but man they are tough! Sans protective spotter(s), I tried the best I could to work on Anorexia and some other classic bouldering problems. Alas, I wasn’t as successful as I wanted to be.

It is 7:30, I’m by the fire and I’m full from a fabulous Johnsonville Italian sausage and stuffed tortellini dinner. With only a two glasses of wine in me, I’m giddy and ready for a day in Sedona; submarine trail, here I come!

Comments

Anonymous said…
My heart skipped a beat when i realized that the tortellini and brats dinner you so carelessly referred to was, well, our meal. I thought I was the only one. But I wish you the best on your search for trails with better curves than the ones we shared; and as you caress the grooved pockets of those cold lonely "boulders" keep this in mind: you'll be back. No really, the 21st? peace out
Anonymous said…
Ambigious, yet somehow erotic. I feel strange.
Bama Babe said…
Thank you for the adventure!
Wish I was there!!!!