First Backcountry Ski Day

OH MY GOD! After 40 inches in the backcountry, one must put on the skins, get out the workgloves and head to the backcountry for some skiing. I'm not the guy to not take the 40-inch rule for granted, so I obligde and hit the slopes. The Deer Creek backcountry tree skiing area is not to be missed. The North facing tree lines had a soft bounce to them and tight turns were mandatory and so were the dog treats!

Yep, I took Baxter with me. The little brown dog did well for his first backcountry with Walker day. He did the "swimming-through-snow-thing"; pushing his back feet down so his chest hits the top of the snow and repeat. It looks funny, but honestly, dogs got this perfected. Little Baxter tried really hard to keep up. I think after lap five he was out of it. I saw some red eyes back there, or maybe it was the red covering my eyes. So, we left after 4.5 hours of pure telemark turns.

Now, Baxter is relaxing by the fire and I'm writing blogs - who's the dog now?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you for taking me skiing, even though you made fun of my technique. The fire was a nice touch.
- Baxter