Jackson Hole Dream Trip!

Imagine... Steep and craggy terrain. You're standing on a cliff looking down on a pillowy cushion of snow. There is no sound except your breathing. After checking your poles and your, well, guts, you lean forward, gather speed and catch air!

This is Jackson Hole...

I've been here since Wednesday and I'm coming back again and again. Folks, Jackson Hole is not for the faint at heart. Located about 10 miles from Jackson Wyoming, you're in the real west (like Durango). There isn't much going on except for the extreme skiing in the winter and just about every outdoor sport you can imagine in the summer: climbing, hiking, MOUNTAIN BIKING, fly fishing, road cycling, running, bouldering, whatever...

Jackson Hole's famous advanced terrain, Rendezvous Mountain, includes bowls, glades, and chutes, as well as 4100 vertical feet of skiing, the greatest continuous inbounds rise in the United States. The base elevation, where one begins their day of descent, is 6311'. One can easily ride a series of chair lifts and access the top at 10450'. Not that Jackson Hole doesn't have anything for the begginer and intermediate, just expect some steepness on the greens and blues too.

I'm about to begin my fourth day of skiing. My crew and I have been fortunate that the snow goddess has blessed us with continuous great snow. Today looks to be sunny and warm, so the snow may not be as good. All this snow mixed with my desire to ski almost every run has wrecked my legs. I'm not one to admit this, but I could use a day off. My knees hurt and I have no want for more "boot time".

Although I'm in pain, you know I'm going out for more! All it takes is some warm sunshine to create that craving in my heart. I'll just rest when I'm dead...

Comments