Are Americans Material Haters?

I recently listened to a podcast by Alan Watts. If you haven't, listened to Alan Watts you should. He is the quintessential Zen expert! During this recent podcast, he talked about how there is a perception that Americans are materialists. Watts argues that Americans aren't materialists that, in fact, we are material haters!



"Americans are not material lovers they are material haters! Just look at Los Angeles"
This quote spoke volumes to me. Not that I hate Los Angeles, but Watts is right. The entire city has grown in unnatural and unsustainable ways. According to Watts, if you're a material lover, you care intimately for the things you have/create. You devote the same respect for them as you would your own body. After hearing this, things changed for me.

As of last week, I realized how many "things" I own and that if I devote the time and attention my things deserve how much longer they will last. Also, I'll learn how better to service my stuff. Finally, I feel that my attention will warrant a greater understanding of what it means to CARE. Needless to say, this has done wonders for my wife - I've been doing a lot of chores lately...

Comments