The Blog Isn't Dead!

BusinessWeek's recent cover story made a big claim: the blog  is dead! Let me say it another way, the micro blog is dead. I'm not quoting here, but that's what I picked up on. The article is mostly a redux of a previous article on social networking where blogging was the focus. BusinessWeek got so many "hits" to the article that they decided to write it again, but this time they focused on the other applications that businesses use: twitter, especially. 




As a blogger, I didn't want to hear this! No, I won't hear it... Sure there may be other tools out there, but the blog is still powerful. I also feel that the business world still has a use for blogs. The company I'm working for, Syndicom, is about to launch a new blog and website. My job will be to write the blogs, as well as encouraging others to do so as well. The blog will serve as an educational tool; much like 37signals.com does with the Basecamp blog. Readers will be able to learn more about our customers, collaboration and what we're generally up to. 

To me the blog represents the only real social networking tool that requires complete thought. Twitter and even Facebook don't offer the type of thoughtful interactions. They are quick and, mostly silly - I'm done with Facebook! 

I love BusinessWeek, but I sure hope they're wrong about this one...


Comments