Racing and $4.00 Gas Prices - NOT GONNA DO IT!

Yesterday I proved to myself that car travel is just too expensive! Never thought I'd say something like that. You're talking about the king of road tripping. Last year, I think I was out of town about every weekend in the summer. In the fall, same thing - load up the car, hit the road and race my mountain bike. This year, forget it!

What did it cost me to fill up my car? It went from about $50 to $70 in no time flat. Considering the normal race is about five hours away, that's easily two fill ups. Now, you add the cost of the race: $30 - $50. Food has to be added to the equation. No lodging, because we camp. That's about it, a race would cost me about $200. Now, add on each weekend in the summer; dude that's a new mountain bike!

How many other racers out there are faced with this dilemma? Race or save money for more important things? I can only imagine there's a lot of people with this issue on their mind when going through their race calendar. Sorry mountain biking race people, but I'm out this year - too expensive!

Comments

EVOMO said…
its a tough situation we are in these days. I think most of the guys that I ride and race with are all feeling the same pinch on their wallets.
Some races are $45 or $50 to enter out here so yea gas, fees, lodging, food and there ya go.

Also...
At a time when gas prices are helping push people to buy bikes and ride places its a bit ironic how it actually prevents a whole other group from riding the bike recreationaly (or competitively).
Walker Thompson said…
Wow, great comment here... I like your position on discrimination, if I may be so bold to represent your statements as such. You're right. And you open up a whole other argument. How many other groups will be "discriminated" against? Senior citizens on a group bus tour? Children taking the bus to school? All require transport, which costs gas money...