Working On Multiple Projects At One Time

So there are these news studies about how multitasking ruins the mind - I believe it! According to a UCLA study:
"Multi-tasking adversely affects how you learn," said Russell Poldrack, UCLA associate professor of psychology and co-author of the study. "Even if you learn while multi-tasking, that learning is less flexible and more specialized, so you cannot retrieve the information as easily. Our study shows that to the degree you can learn while multi-tasking, you will use different brain systems.

So, in order to "combat the urge" I've got this new system: time management. During the day, I list my projects on a new google app that I recently downloaded - a simple checklist. Doing this sounds simple, but it helps me focus on what is important and what is not. Since I'm on my Google homepage all day for email, research, etc. I never miss the list. Next, I schedule time for when certain tasks can be completed. Then, I just make the time... For me, it really is that simple.

Comments