Encouragement - It Matters More Than You Think

Correction does much, but encouragement does more - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe.

A well said point about encouragement, in my mind. So how do you apply this in your life/work? Are you the encouraging type? When was the last time you encouraged someone?

I can't say that I'm some kind of master here. In fact, I'd say, as a manager/husband/friend, I need all the encouragement I can get (probably need to brush up on those management books). However, I do realize the impact of positive encouragement. For example, yesterday, while riding with a friend I remembered what my mountain bike mentor would do when I approached technical sections. He wouldn't analyze the terrain, he would simply say - GO! It was what I needed to hear. Last night, with my friend, I gave him a different type of tip and then said - GO! Perhaps encouragement is different for everyone, probably it is situational. Whatever the case, humans need it - we crave it.

Today, my goal is to think about the encouragement I've received in my life and how important it was. Today, I'm going to apply the best forms of encouragement I can think of and watch for the reaction. In everyone I meet I'm going to encourage them to do their best and to strive for their goals.

Thank you to the squeakymarmot for the incredible picture!

PS: my friend made the bridge drop last night. He landed it, but then crashed right after - oh well, at least he tried it!

Comments