Creating Google Analytics Goals, And Funnels

Image representing Google Analytics as depicte...Image via CrunchBase
Gosh, Google makes it easy... But the most remarkable thing is how many marketers I know don't actually have a clue on how to use Google Analytics. If you call yourself a marketer, then you should be about one thing: THE NUMBERS! Otherwise, you are a designer or a communicator... Anyway, enough of my opinion.

On this blog, yes, the one that you read as part of your daily brain dose, I had to re-install my Google analytics code. Naturally, Google makes it easy... But I thought I'd spend a few minutes giving you a step-by-step on creating your own goals and funnels. Why? Well, I had to re-create a few things, so why not show you what I'm doing to help you launch your own analytics program...

Step 1: click on edit your profile... 


And NO, I'm not going to share my metrics with you yet.

Step 2: select one of the goal slots (typically, you have four to choose from, which means you can create about 5 goals per slot, or 20 total)


Step 3: edit your goal, create a funnel and GO! 


The most interesting aspect of managing Google Analytics on a blog is how certain measurements REALLY don't matter. For example, "bounce rate" or the percentage of single-page visits or visits in which the person left your site from the entrance (landing) page. Why is this not so critical? Well, typically, a blog is only one page (mine is). So the page you hit is where you will stay, and then leave. Good luck with your marketing and your goals!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments