10 Years Ago, I Woke Up In Durango For The First Time

I'll never forget, nor will we all... It was September 10th, 2001. My car had crested Wolf Creek pass and I was heading to my new home: Durango, CO. Having been recruited to work in Durango, my life was already on changed path. I left Oklahoma City, OK, my new life was to begin.

I woke on September 11th, 2001 to a blue-bird sky and beautiful mountain morning in Durango. My new home. My new place. Everything felt right. The air was cooler, the mountains striking. I made a tall cup of coffee and sat down to watch TV in the den. TV on, coffee in hand, shocked! Every news channel detailed the chilling scene of a smoldering World Trade Center. What had happened??? I was on mountain time now, so the attack happened two hours prior. More confusion... Is this really happening? I just moved here... What about my sister in Baltimore??? My heart started to pound.

The rest of the day was a blur, but that was to be expected. I remember watching TV, listening to the radio and trying to reach my sister on my antiquated cell phone. The day turned somber as I realized how this day would change the rest of the days of my life. As a country, we had been attacked; we had been changed!

Today I am spending time reflecting on my 10 years in Durango, CO. A life I would have never expected, and have completely feel in love with. Those heroes of 9/11 do not have the luxury to reflect, but it is in our future they placed their hope.

Comments