The Value Of Mentorship And Social Giving

I have the distinct privilege to call myself a study buddy mentor within the Big Brothers Big Sisters of SW Colorado organization. If you didn't guess it, I couldn't be more proud to be one either! 

Mentoring is one of those unique pursuits that really challenges how I interact to eventually teach. We mentors lay the pressure on to make sure everything we say has some amazingly powerful learning quality. However, mostly the kids see right through our teachable moments and ask us to pass the basketball. But I've found that even though my little (as they are called by Big Brothers and Big Sisters) sees right through my sage-worthy counselling, it is the fact that I care about this little kid, and he sees that (he told me once too). I'm showing up, and trying, and learning more about life from this little guy than he is from me, probably! 

The Study Buddy program has its roots in the Community-Based mentoring program. The impact of mentoring can't be understated with either program. Based on a recent study, Big Brothers and Big Sisters found that students and mentees were more confident, and less prone to acting out. 
  • 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
  • 27% less likely to begin using alcohol
  • 52% less likely to skip school
  • 37% less likely to skip a class
  • 33% less likely to hit someone 
So you should think about donating an hour a week to a little. That's it, super easy, and you shouldn't do all the thinking by yourself. Call Big Brothers Big Sisters to learn more about their programs. Or, at the very least, sign up for SocialTransactions to help them raise much needed money: http://www.socialtransactions.com/support/BBBS_SWCO/

Comments