"I Don't Get It", And The Collaborative Journey

Have you ever worked on a document (or presentation, meeting, idea, etc). I mean worked really hard, thought deeply, added context and more only to have one of your audience say: I don't get it?

Not that this isn't a worthy response... Maybe you've done a shitty job explaining yourself because you were nervous. If someone doesn't understand a point you've made, they should ask about its meaning. But when have you NOT gotten defensive over it (which is also OK - you're human). To me, I've watched this statement crush the collaborative approach... Although it may be a reasonable comment, I must ask, is it lazy? Would it be better to take a more collaborative tack? I've seen others (more thoughtful and more collaborative, I'd argue) ask (instead):
  1. Does this mean that your idea will create/do/help/solve/etc...
  2. Will this feature/idea/solution/program/process create/do/help/solve/etc the "thing" we were talking about... 
  3. Can you work with me more on this feature/idea/solution/program/process, so I can understand it more deeply... 
Simply put, it amazes me that one comment/question can totally kill an idea from flourishing... 

Comments