Five Life Impactors - Tools / Ideas / Physicals / Mentals

Opinions, thoughts and recommendations on things: shredding outdoors, books, music, outdoor gear, tech, training and mental fortitude... Oh, and one picture from the week. Enjoy.  

Pic of the week: well, this week, my beautiful girlfriend presented oral arguments in front of the Colorado Supreme court. I got this pic, because the court arguments broadcast live. Look at that smile, and then look at all the justices -- tell me what you see? 


1. My music selection for this week is Slightly Stoopid's new album Everyday People. This album has so many great artists in collaboration! It's a ski weekend in Durango, so I have this on download - check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYwVfD6b5m4

2. The pocket knife, preferably a slim knife with a belt clip, has to be one of the most useful tools - ever! I own about 15 of them, and typically have one nearby for repairs, simple fixes or emergency situations. My choice of blade starts with a classic Buck Knife, so check them out at your local ACE or order here https://www.buckknives.com/knives/ One of best "gear picks" is always a knife, so always have one at the ready! 

3. I'm testing out a new concept for me -- the Dakine Heli Vest https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/backpacks/snow-backpacks/heli-vest/ So far, the vest hasn't seen a ton of use, but I plan to apply the vest during solo voyages in the backcountry and while ripping the trails on my dirt bike! 

4. I've got to plug a movie I watch every year... 180-degrees South. This movie is a repeat of Yvon Chouinard and Doug Tompkin's trip to Patagonia in 1968. Jeff Johnson, a climber and surfer, conducts his own spiritual and physical adventure much like Tompkins and Chouinard. However, he finds much more than rad surf and climbing... He finds that the Western world's consumption has far reaching damage to some of the most beautiful places. The story reminds me how I can consume less, and live my passions more! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1407927/

5. I quote... “In response to people who say you can’t go back. Well, what happens when you get to the cliff?  Do you take one step forward or do you make a 180 degree turn and take . . . one step forward? Which way are you going? Which is progress?” Doug Tompkins 

Comments