Minimalism - My Four Steps In 2019

I recently watched the TEDTalk about minimalism. The concept is simple: we all need less stuff to be happy. And the concept goes deeper than than... There's a quote in a Netflix film about minimalism which struck me deeply. One of the actors asks, and a I paraphrase, what do you think we hear more of, I love you or I want? That blew my mind... How true?! In my life, I've acquired a lot of crap I likely don't need. But, I'm not interested in wasteful fashion - shit, I have some of the same clothes from five years ago and I wear the same thing to work, probably too much! I do have a lot gear though, and likely too much of that. Skiing, climbing, extra bicycles and whatever crap goes with those toys. And so, I'm looking at my own way of living... Can I reduce? Yes! But how? The TEDTalk below details what minimalism can look like to a single, corporate guy. There is a movement which spawned from here...



So what's my plan? Here's the best things I could think of:

  1. During the Spring or Summer, whenever the snow is melted, I'm going to host a garage sale. My goal is to sell everything I haven't used in two years! You should come by, I have some worthy gear. 
  2. Less meat! The impact to our planet is significant... I could drink two protein drinks a day to get what I need in protein. Or find an alternative vegetable source - beans, beans and more beans? 
  3. Limited ALL my compulsive buying... I'm not too guilty of this, but I do it. 
  4. NEVER buy anything that doesn't support my passions, a work product or someone / something (protecting the sacred mountains) I love. If it doesn't meet this criteria, nope. 
You likely have your own ideas... Please share? 

Comments