Is Social Networking For Athletes A Good Thing?

I've been off the in-your-face kind of social media for over two years now (Facebook and Instagram). And, like all people who have escaped the clutches of social media, I've blogged and tweeted about it (humble bragger). But, as an outdoor athlete, I've missed out on some real social value from, well, social media posts.

Let me explain... During the winter, many of us backcountry skiers post updates about avalanche cycles or even what's being shralped (skied out). There are groups for summer too... People in private groups talk about new trail development and trail conditions (muddy or not muddy; snowy or not snowy). I've kept active on Twitter, but the social share and communication is nothing compared to what Facebook offers. Hell, Twitter is like a news feed and there is no real local connection. There is a connecting force that Facebook creates; it combines like-minded folks to what their passionate about (likely magic beans that do this at Facebook HQ). It also creates some really annoying over-sharing shit that I could do without (and that's why I left the madness of Facebook - the bad magic beans).

It isn't that I'm clamoring to get back on Facebook, but I did skim it today, due to some random notice about my account. And for 10 minutes, I got sucked in to the friend requests and crap, but I also saw pictures of outdoor athletes pursuing new terrain and having fun... This opened my eyes to what Facebook SHOULD BE - a social site where we share our interests, ideas, passions, love, pursuits in life, goals and the good stuff. It is a real shame that it has turned in to a complete disaster of a platform... Maybe that will change, and maybe more athletes will use something different or made for them. I do miss some of the REAL social networking; I do miss those connections.



Comments